Sunday, March 7, 2010

But I Don't Have Any Money to Donate...

As a young college student, I catch myself finding reasons for why it is okay that I do not donate my time or money.  I have bills, school, groceries, etc. to pay for and barely have time to work to cover those costs.... the excuses go on.  We all have financial responsibilities and everyone is realizing now more than ever, how we need to be wise with our spending.

Let's just take a minute and think...What if you were to cut out one trip a week to Starbucks?  Make food at home instead of going out to eat?  Walk or ride your bike instead of driving?

Then... take that money you would be spending and put it aside for those in need (even just a few dollars a week).

One less cup of coffee a week could be providing children with their meal for the day.



Last summer, I began supporting a child-led family in Rwanda, two boys, Abucar - 9 and Filas - 15.  (Filas lost his mother in the Genocide in 94'- Abucar's mother took him in.  A few years ago, she passed away from AIDS and the two boys have been together since).

 I had the opportunity to go over to Rwanda in July for a 2-week missions trip and visit with them and other child-led families being supported.  I saw first-hand where my money was going to - their food, clothing, housing, and schooling.  Something as minor as a few dollars a week changes their lives dramatically -- it is hard to fully grasp.




At the time, I was a server at a restaurant, so when I came home, I would take a little bit of the cash I earned and put it in an envelope to donate each month, knowing that they needed the money more than I needed to go out to the movies.

If you are interested in hearing more about the HIV/AIDS Project we are doing in Rwanda, please take a few minutes to read the blog with more information.



Now bringing it back to our own cities.

I encourage you to take a look at a few of the sites listed to the right.  See if you are able to donate your time to help serve those in poverty or if you are able to set aside a few dollars a month to donate.

You can help change a life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sadie

    After reading your post it made me think how sad it is that the majority of society states we can't help the less fortunate. But as quickly as we say that we are out buying our daily 'Starbucks' coffee.

    I'm going to sit down with my children and we are going to support a child through Hope 4 Kids International.

    I hope you don't mind me plugging a great cause: Walk 4 Water
    http://www.hope4kidsinternational.org/w4ki/walk-4-water

    mp

    ReplyDelete