Sunday, February 28, 2010

Do You Have Any Change?

Just like most of you have encountered, I had people asking me for money this past week.  One asked for spare change, another asked for $22.  As I was stopped at a light, I saw a man holding a sign that said "I am not lazy...Just going through a hard time".  

What do you do?  Do you always give them money?


Or do you question as to whether they will spend it on food or alcohol?

Many times it is easy to say no and walk on by, forgetting about the short interaction.

As I was walking through downtown Phoenix, where I saw several homeless men, it really made me think. They have no job, no place to go home to and most of them, no family.  It breaks my heart.




What can be done to help these people?  

I know many people who, instead of giving them money, offer to go to a restaurant/store nearby and buy them some food.  If they are legitimately looking for food, they will take you up on your offer.

Another idea if you are going downtown, is to carry some extra granola bars or water bottles.  Even something little could help their day.

Project Homeless Connect was started by Valley of The Sun United Way.  They work to provide goods and services, such as food, clothing, counseling and job placement.   As a volunteer, you work with the homeless to help find the things they need as well as getting to know them and hearing their story.

"FACT: About 8,000 homeless men, women and children are on Maricopa County streets and in our shelters every day." - Valley of the Sun United Way


I encourage you to volunteer if you have a free afternoon.  The next opportunity is on Tuesday, March 23, 2010.

First Southern Baptist Church of Avondale
1001 North Central Avenue
Avondale, AZ 85323
7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.





No comments:

Post a Comment